As you age, your lips can lose their volume and fullness. Fine lines and wrinkles can develop around the lips, leaving you looking much older than you feel. A lip augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that uses an injectable dermal filler to enhance the appearance of your lips. The procedure is designed for anyone not satisfied with the appearance of their lips, and for San Diego lip augmentation candidates who want more appealing, plumper lips.
Why Lips Get Thinner as We Age
Lips get their shape to some extent from collagen – the main structural protein in human connective tissue. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body and the substance that essentially holds the body together.
Collagen production begins decreasing at the age of approximately 20 at the rate of 1% less collagen produced in the dermis (skin) every year. Ultraviolet light (sunlight) exposure and other environmental factors can also cause significant loss of collagen and elastin in the lips, and in the skin overall. Factors in addition to aging that can cause collagen damage and reduce lip volume include:
- High sugar consumption
- Exposure to sunlight
- Auto-immune disorders
Lip Enhancement Techniques
Hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm and Restylane are the two most commonly used fillers used to create fuller lips. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring sugar that gives the skin its natural elasticity and volume.
Just as with collagen, our body’s natural store of hyaluronic acid decreases over time, and our skin begins to lose its volume. With lip augmentation, an ultra-fine needle is used to inject the material back into the lips and along the edge of the lips to make them appear fuller, plumper, and more prominent.
Although the results of lip augmentation with dermal fillers are not permanent, they are long lasting and you can expect your lips to retain their newfound beauty and volume for as long as 6 to 12 months. Additionally, a variety of injectable options are available for you and your expert aesthetician to chose from. Some of our most popular dermal fillers for lip augmentation are:
- JUVÉDERM® ULTRA XC: JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC is a hyaluronic acid-based injectable filler. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally-occurring and biocompatible sugar that ensures skin elasticity, making your skin look smooth, voluminous, and supple. The hyaluronic gel is injected into your skin to supplement your body’s natural hyaluronic acid supplies, which may have depleted because of age and external factors. JUVÉDERM Ultra XC is used to add volume to the lips for up to a year.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC: JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC is one of the latest hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers, used specifically to smoothen the appearance of vertical lines on the upper lips. The hyaluronic acid supplements your body’s depleting supplies, making your lips appear voluminous, smooth, and supple. The results last for up to 12 months, depending on how fast your body metabolizes the hyaluronic acid.
- RESTYLANE®: Restylane® is a clear gel dermal filler designed to supplement your body’s naturally-occurring hyaluronic acid. As the hyaluronic acid degrades, its molecules bind water to ensure your lips appear hydrated and voluminous, filling out the vertical lines on the upper lips. Restylane results last for up to 6 months in the lips.
It is natural for your lips to appear swollen for a short while after receiving lip injections of hyaluronic acid. The swelling is temporary and subsides within a few hours or days. Laser Clinique is your guide to a more beautiful you and rest assured we provide some of the highest quality lip augmentation San Diego has to offer.
Laser Cliniquelip-augmentation-san-diego Reviews
Fillers vs. Lip Augmentation Surgery
The lips are among the first places on the face to show the signs of age. When they lose their volume, and become thinner, they can make a person appear old, tired, or unhappy. However, age is not the only culprit. Some people have thin lips as a result of heredity.
Fortunately, lips can be enhanced without surgery. Dermal fillers can give you the plumper, “bee stung” lips you had in your youth and lost, or that nature denied you. Some plastic surgeons perform surgery to insert implants for lip enhancement, but we prefer the use of injectable fillers. Lip enhancement with fillers is a minimally invasive procedure, without the risk of exposure or infection associated with implants. We also prefer fillers for purely aesthetic reasons, as they allow for fine contouring of the lips that is not possible with implants.
Cost of Lip Augmentation
The cost of lip augmentation varies depending on how much filler is required, as well as by location and provider. To make our services available as widely as possible, Laser Cliniqúe routinely offers specials to our patients. See all of our specials here.
Benefits of Lip Augmentation with Fillers
Lip augmentation is becoming more popular every year. CBS News reports that it is the fastest growing cosmetic procedure in the U.S. The number of lip enhancements procedures performed has increased by 50% since 2000, with another 5% jump in 2015.
The popularity of lip enhancement with injectable fillers can be explained by its important benefits:
- Simple, gradual treatment: The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis and generally takes less than an hour to complete. One treatment only is usually sufficient to produce the desired results.
- Less bruising and swelling: As compared to lip implants, augmentation with injectable fillers will cause fewer side effects and leave the patient with less bruising and swelling. This is a minimally invasive procedure, with less risk of infection or complications.
- Less downtime: After lip augmentation with injectable fillers, you can expect to return to your normal activities almost immediately. You can expect some swelling after the procedure, which will subside in a few hours to a few days time.
- Visible results right away: It doesn’t take long for the swelling to subside, and you will be able to see the beautiful results of your procedure – fuller, poutier, younger-looking lips.
- Long-lasting results: How long the effects will last is determined by several factors, including the patient’s anatomy. Generally, lip augmentation with hyaluronic fillers lasts approximately six months.
- Reversible treatment: If for any reason, you are unhappy with the appearance of your lip enhancement, you have the option to change your mind. Lip augmentation with injectable fillers is reversible with a product that dissolves the filler.
Women with Full Lips Look Younger
Research has shown that full lips make a difference in a youthful appearance. A study in seven different universities, involving hundreds of women, found that rosy, firm, full lips make a woman appear younger, even when she has wrinkles, eye bags, or other facial signs of aging. The findings of this study confirmed accepted standards of beauty which we have seen, over the decades in actresses such as Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren, Angelina Jolie, and Scarlett Johansson.
At a Glance: Before & After Lip Augmentation
Lip Augmentation FAQ'sHow long does lip augmentation last? How many treatments will I need? How many Ultherapy treatments will I need?
Lip Augmentation FAQ's
How long does lip augmentation last?
Lip augmentation lasts from several months to a full year, depending on the type of filler used. Over time, as your body absorbs the natural solutions used in the fillers, a touch up may be required to restore volume.
How many treatments will I need?
A conservative to moderate lip augment can be done in one treatment. More voluminous and pronounced lips may require a second treatment.
Is lip augmentation reversible?
Our professional, experienced injectors make the need for reversals very rare, but, yes, results can be easily reversed using a solution that counteracts and dissolves the filler almost immediately.
Lip Augmentation Gallery
Meet Dr. Ataii
Medical Director of Laser Cliniqúe
P. Alexander Ataii M.D. is the Medical Director and Founder of Laser Cliniqúe in San Diego. He is a skilled skin care specialist who focuses on all aspects of the skin both diagnostic and cosmetic.View Bio