As you age, your lips can lose their volume and fullness. Fine lines and wrinkles can develop around the lips, leaving you looking much older than you feel. A lip augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that uses an injectable dermal filler to enhance the appearance of your lips. The procedure is designed for anyone not satisfied with the appearance of their lips, and for San Diego lip augmentation candidates who want more appealing, plumper lips.
Why Lips Get Thinner as We Age
Lips get their shape to some extent from collagen – the main structural protein in human connective tissue. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body and the substance that essentially holds the body together.
Collagen production begins decreasing at the age of approximately 20 at the rate of 1% less collagen produced in the dermis (skin) every year. Ultraviolet light (sunlight) exposure and other environmental factors can also cause significant loss of collagen and elastin in the lips, and in the skin overall. Factors in addition to aging that can cause collagen damage and reduce lip volume include:
- High sugar consumption
- Exposure to sunlight
- Auto-immune disorders
Laser Cliniquelip-augmentation-san-diego Reviews
Fillers vs. Lip Augmentation Surgery
The lips are among the first places on the face to show the signs of age. When they lose their volume, and become thinner, they can make a person appear old, tired, or unhappy. However, age is not the only culprit. Some people have thin lips as a result of heredity.
Fortunately, lips can be enhanced without surgery. Dermal fillers can give you the plumper, “bee stung” lips you had in your youth and lost, or that nature denied you. Some plastic surgeons perform surgery to insert implants for lip enhancement, but we prefer the use of injectable fillers. Lip enhancement with fillers is a minimally invasive procedure, without the risk of exposure or infection associated with implants. We also prefer fillers for purely aesthetic reasons, as they allow for fine contouring of the lips that is not possible with implants.
Cost of Lip Augmentation
The cost of lip augmentation varies depending on how much filler is required, as well as by location and provider. To make our services available as widely as possible, Laser Cliniqúe routinely offers specials to our patients. See all of our specials here.
Benefits of Lip Augmentation with Fillers
Lip augmentation is becoming more popular every year. CBS News reports that it is the fastest growing cosmetic procedure in the U.S. The number of lip enhancements procedures performed has increased by 50% since 2000, with another 5% jump in 2015.
The popularity of lip enhancement with injectable fillers can be explained by its important benefits:
- Simple, gradual treatment: The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis and generally takes less than an hour to complete. One treatment only is usually sufficient to produce the desired results.
- Less bruising and swelling: As compared to lip implants, augmentation with injectable fillers will cause fewer side effects and leave the patient with less bruising and swelling. This is a minimally invasive procedure, with less risk of infection or complications.
- Less downtime: After lip augmentation with injectable fillers, you can expect to return to your normal activities almost immediately. You can expect some swelling after the procedure, which will subside in a few hours to a few days time.
- Visible results right away: It doesn’t take long for the swelling to subside, and you will be able to see the beautiful results of your procedure – fuller, poutier, younger-looking lips.
- Long-lasting results: How long the effects will last is determined by several factors, including the patient’s anatomy. Generally, lip augmentation with hyaluronic fillers lasts approximately six months.
- Reversible treatment: If for any reason, you are unhappy with the appearance of your lip enhancement, you have the option to change your mind. Lip augmentation with injectable fillers is reversible with a product that dissolves the filler.
Women with Full Lips Look Younger
Research has shown that full lips make a difference in a youthful appearance. A study in seven different universities, involving hundreds of women, found that rosy, firm, full lips make a woman appear younger, even when she has wrinkles, eye bags, or other facial signs of aging. The findings of this study confirmed accepted standards of beauty which we have seen, over the decades in actresses such as Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren, Angelina Jolie, and Scarlett Johansson.
At a Glance: Before & After Lip Augmentation
Lip Augmentation FAQ'sHow long does lip augmentation last? How many treatments will I need? How many Ultherapy treatments will I need?
Lip Augmentation FAQ's
How long does lip augmentation last?
Lip augment lasts from several months to a full year, depending on the type of filler used. Over time, as your body absorbs the natural solutions used in the fillers, a touch up may be required to restore volume.
How many treatments will I need?
A conservative to moderate lip augment can be done in one treatment. More voluminous and pronounced lips may require a second treatment.
Is lip augmentation reversible?
Our professional, experienced injectors make the need for reversals very rare, but, yes, results can be easily reversed using a solution that counteracts and dissolves the filler almost immediately.
Lip Augmentation Gallery
Meet Dr. Ataii
Medical Director of Laser Cliniqúe
P. Alexander Ataii M.D. is the Medical Director and Founder of Laser Cliniqúe in San Diego. He is a skilled skin care specialist who focuses on all aspects of the skin both diagnostic and cosmetic.View Bio
PRACTICE POLICY UPDATE REGARDING COVID-19
Coronavirus (Covid-19) Update
Updated May 20th, 2020
Effective immediately the following will occur:
- 1. We have received clearance from San Diego county and are now open and seeing patients
- 2. We require any person entering our office to wear a mask or face covering
- 3. Under federal anti-discrimination laws, we have the right to refuse service to any person for any reason except for race or color
We are constantly updating our services and staffing according to the local and national recommendations and will always place your health and well-being as our top priority.
We have added a new filtration system with bipolar ionization attached to multiple HVAC systems throughout our office and had HEPA filters installed. This filtration system is similar to ones that are in hospital operating rooms. It will create reduced virus zones. We also spray the entire office at night with Electrostatic which generates charged droplets that repel one another and actively seek out environmental surfaces, which they stick to and even wrap around to coat all sides and disinfects bacteria and viruses off any surface within 2 minutes.
If you are sick or mildly sick, please stay home. If you are suffering from any of these symptoms such as fever, cough, fatigue, no appetite, shortness of breath, sputum production, runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea or body ache please reschedule your appointment. We will reschedule your appointment without penalty or fees after 14 days.
We continue to exercise all the latest recommendations that are handed down by the CDC. These include:
- Staff have been fully informed and trained to understand the disease process and its modes of transmission.
- All staff, vendors and ancillary personnel are being asked to refrain from coming to this office if they have any signs or symptoms of a cold or an upper respiratory tract infection.
- Every patient is also being asked to refrain from coming to the office if they have any symptoms.
- We are asking our patients about any pertinent travel history.
- Hand-washing continues to be the most important mode of prevention. Although it is a part of what we constantly do, now we are doing so with heightened vigilance and attention.
- We have instituted a “no handshakes no hug” policy for now.
- We have asked all vendors that any unnecessary meetings are canceled until further notice.
- Any exit and entrance from our office are followed by a protocol of changing shoes, scrubs and sanitization.
- As we are an accredited medical facility, we are constantly sanitizing all surfaces. We have now vamped that up and our routine, multiple times a day, wiping down all surfaces, desks, door handles, keyboards and restroom facilities. We have assigned a person that does so on a constant basis.
Although Covid-19 is a serious issue, we strongly believe that it will pass and hopefully make our infrastructure and our ability to deal with pandemics in this Country even better than it currently is. We are monitoring this situation on a real-time basis and will not sit back until we know that we have done everything possible to avoid unnecessary exposure.
Here are some links that might be useful:
- State of California Department of Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always here to answer your questions
Call us at 888-406-4801
Contact us today and schedule a virtual consultation!