Platelet rich plasma treatment (PRP) therapy is a non-invasive form of addressing male hair loss and thinning with blood cell platelets to stimulate hair growth.
PRP Injections improve Hair Loss
PRP for men involves drawing a small amount of the patient’s blood, placing the blood in a tube and centrifuging the blood until plasma platelets collect in the tube. Useful for healing and regenerating tissue, this platelet-rich plasma is then injected into the scalp where hair thinning and loss is noticeable.
Platelets contain ample amounts of different cytokines and growth factors that have been known to stimulate hair growth. It has been clinically proven to benefit a significant proportion of men with hair loss/thinning.
In fact, a study published in BioMed Research International found that PRP injections increased epidermis thickness around treated areas while increasing the number of hair follicles within 14 days of beginning treatment.
Another peer-reviewed article published in the Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery reports that “PRP injections are cost-effective, feasible treatment options for androgenic alopecia (male pattern balding) and provides high patient satisfaction”.
How is Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy Performed?
PRP for hair loss La Jolla & San Diego is a simple procedure involving the following steps:
- Blood is collected from the patient and placed in a container.
- The container is then put into a centrifuge where it is rotated rapidly to separate blood components.
- Platelets now separated from the blood are prepared for topical application and injection into the scalp.
- Prior to the actual application of platelet rich plasma, a micro-needling device is used on the scalp to stimulate the scalp’s dermis. This induces microtrauma to the scalp so that the body’s immune system responds by initiating the body’s natural healing processes. Enhancing the activity of growth repair cells is the introduction of platelet rich plasma therapy to the scalp.
- Finally, occlusive dressing may be applied to treated areas if necessary.
Length of a platelet rich plasma therapy session depends on the extent of hair loss but generally takes one to two hours. Most patients need PRP therapy several times to achieve desired results. Others may only require platelet rich plasma therapy once or twice a year.
Medical Director & Founder Dr. P. Alexander Ataii
P. Alexander Ataii, M.D. is the Medical Director and Founder of Laser Cliniqúe in San Diego. He is a skilled skin care specialist who focuses on all aspects of the skin both diagnostic and cosmetic.
- Delivered Over 25,000 BOTOX Treatments
- Delivered Over 20,000 Dermal Fillers
- Top 250 of 42,000 Allergan Providers Nationwide
- Patients' Choice Award Winner 2007-2020
I strive each day to exceed my patients’ expectations.
What to Know about PRP Injections
PRP is a simple procedure involving the following steps:
- PRP sessions generally take less than an hour to complete. No downtime is associated with PRP treatment and you can return to your regular activities immediately after a session.
- Booster PRP injections should be implemented every three months for a year. Maintenance sessions should be scheduled for once a year thereafter.
- Before leaving Laser Cliniqúe, your scalp is thoroughly cleaned and dried.
- You can wash your hair the morning before receiving PRP injections. It is also safe to color your hair up to three days prior to beginning treatment.
- It is strongly recommended that you stop taking dietary supplements that tend to thin the blood before receiving PRP injections. These include vitamins A and E, niacin and essential fatty acid supplements.
- Patients report only mild, temporary discomfort from receiving PRP injections. Since an inflammatory process is necessary to stimulate hair growth, you should refrain from taking anti-inflammatory medications that interfere with the natural healing process.
For more information about PRP hair loss treatment in San Diego, contact Laser Cliniqúe to schedule a consultation with P Alexander Ataii M.D., a renowned cosmetic surgeon recognized as a Vitals Top 10 doctor in California.