Using excess amounts of makeup to hide acne can actually make it worse. Follow good skin care for clean, healthy skin.
Teenage girls and adult women who have acne struggle over the need to wear makeup to cover their acne, but then worry about the extra damage it may be doing to their skin. If you feel more comfortable wearing makeup to conceal acne, there are several things you can do that allow you to wear makeup and still take care of your skin.
One of the most common problems among teenage girls and women with acne is using excessive makeup As you pile on more makeup in an attempt to cover a pimple that you feel is taking over your forehead, chin, or cheek more acne may appear. In the majority of situations, it is not as large or as noticeable as you think, and adding extra makeup will only make acne stand out more. These tips will help hide your blemishes and protect your skin from additional breakouts:
- Use a light powder instead of thick concealer or cream foundation. The powder will help to absorb excess oils without clumping like liquid foundations.
- Only use makeup that is labeled “noncomedogenic.”
- Your fingers can add bacteria to your skin, so do not use your fingers to apply makeup. Instead, use a soft makeup sponge.
- Choose a foundation that is as close as possible to your natural skin tone.
- If a foundation is worn, apply one thin layer, instead of a thick layer. By wearing too much or using a color that is too dark, you will make your skin look like a mask.
- Avoid using blush or bronzer because it can adhere to bumps and give your face an uneven finish.
- Avoid moisturizing makeup. Instead, use a good moisturizer after cleansing.
- If you use a topical treatment for acne, do not use medicated makeup as it can further dry your skin.
- Clean makeup applicators after each use and allow to air dry before using again.
- Let your skin breathe by going natural as often as possible.
When you have acne, it is common to think that washing more often will help eliminate it. Actually, the best cleaning regimen is to only cleanse your face twice each day: once in the morning and once before bedtime. Using a gentle cleanser such as the Laser Clinique Calming Green Tea Wash and a soft wash cloth, gently wash in a circular motion, then rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry. Do not scrub your face.
In addition to using caution with makeup and correctly cleansing your face, a healthy diet and exercise can help to fight acne. A healthy diet is one that contains antioxidant and vitamin packed foods, such as spinach, apricots, sweet potatoes, shrimp, broccoli, and leafy greens. Drink plenty of water and exercise regularly to help rid your body of the toxins that lead to acne.
It is a good idea to make an appointment with P. Alexander Ataii M.D. to discuss the medical treatments available for your type of acne.
Back to Blog