One month prior to the procedure, topical medications can be applied daily to prevent the risk of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. An SPF 30 sunscreen should always be applied daily. Some patients may require oral antiviral medication, which may begin the day of the procedure and continue for 5-10 days. Avoid Retin-A, Renova, Differin (Adapalene 0.1%), or any products containing Retinol, AHA or BHA and Benzol Peroxide for a few days prior to procedure. DO NOT EXFOLIATE. Accutane should not be taken for 6 months prior to a deep chemical peel.
- 1. Patient should keep the skin moist through frequent and liberal use of water, a moisturizer, and sunscreen.
- 2. Patient may gently splash, one part water mixed with one part vinegar to the peeled areas when peeling begins. Patients report this helps with the healing process.
- 3. Aquafor Healing Ointment or Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Cream – Deep Moisture Creamy Formula may be used for any irritation that you may experience.
- 4. Washing with a gentle cleanser, such as Laser Cliniqúe Green Tea Wash, is recommended twice a day. Rubbing or abrading the skin must be avoided.
- 5. Any type of makeup or hair spray must be avoided until the peeling process is completed.
- 6. Use sunscreen with SPF of at least 30. Avoid sunlight as much as possible until peeling is complete.
- 7. Patient should never pull at the exfoliating skin or help it peel. Doing so may increase the healing time and may even lead to darkened pigment, redness, or scarring.
Occasionally, mild-to-significant swelling (edema) may occur 24 to 48 hours post-peel. Ice packs used the first 24 to 48 hours of swelling are recommended for comfort. Topical, oral, or IM cortisone may be used to control significant swelling. The patient should be reassured that the swelling will subside, and continue moisturizing several times a day.
Learn more about Medical Grade Chemical Peels
Medical Grade Chemical Peels Gallery
Meet Dr. Ataii
Medical Director of Laser Cliniqúe
P. Alexander Ataii M.D. is the Medical Director and Founder of Laser Cliniqúe. He is a skilled skin care specialist who focuses on all aspects of the skin both diagnostic and cosmetic.View Bio