Do not let Red Irritated Skin Prevent a California Beach Vacation: 6 Easy Fixes
These six easy ways to reduce the pain and suffering caused by red, irritated skin can help you enjoy a better quality of life all year long. Fall is in the air, and the change from summer to autumn can highlight summer skin damage and exacerbate raw, itchy skin.
To keep your skin in the best condition try these little tricks that help eliminate dry, irritated, raw and chapped skin.
1. Daily Moisturizing: The weather is hard on our skin. Wind, sun and smog all work together to dry out the upper layers of the skin. Dry skin loses its suppleness and cracks easily. Dry, cracked skin is itchy, irritated and can burn. Keeping your skin moisturized is an easy way to overcome the damaging effects of the weather.
• TIP: There are over-the-counter moisturizers that are good, but for the best products see your dermatologist. A professional can recommend the best medical grade products for your skin type.
2. Ceramides for Those Who Are Prone To Skin Problems
If you are one of many people who suffer from eczema or dermatitis a moisturizer that contains, ceramides will likely be your new best friend. Ceramides are a type of lipid that is found naturally in the top layer of our skin. When you use products that contain ceramides, you are helping your skin absorb the building blocks for great skin. If you have problematic skin then ceramides can help keep your skin moist and supple and to also help to prevent drying and cracking which can exacerbate eczema and dermatitis.
• TIP: Good products, matched to your skin type provide fast relief.
3. Exfoliate Your Exfoliation products
Think softer gentler skin care. Try a chemical peel instead of a daily exfoliation. Visit a skin care clinic at least 3 times per year for proper exfoliation treatment. Use light to medium strength Chemical peels to maintain healthy skin between exfoliation treatments.
• TIP: If you have sensitive skin try a medical grade facial or one of the Microdermabrasion treatments San Diego skin care clinics offer.
4. Be Kind to Your Skin; Avoid harsh cleaners
Mild skin cleaners help to maintain the skin’s integrity. If you have never had your skin evaluated by a professional, you should. Sometimes a change in the weather causes our skin to become red and irritated. At other times, the vector of irritation is the products we use on our skin.
• TIP: Mild skin cleaners are best when we do not know what is irritating our skin. For deep cleaning try one of the mild chemical peels.
Apply a minimum of SPF 30 sunscreen at least 30 minute before you go out into the sun. The sun is very damaging to our skin. Not only does it dry skin out, but also causes other problems such as burns, pigmentation and UV damage. Wearing sunscreen is the best way to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun.
• TIP: High quality sunscreen will help to moisturize your skin and still be usable with makeup.
6. Keep it Cool
Did you know that keeping your skin care products in the fridge helps to keep their ingredients fresher? Cool helps restrict the capillaries in the skin. Smaller capillaries help to reduce the red blotchy look of damaged skin. Keep it cool by putting your skin care products in the fridge before applying to your skin.
• TIP: Treat your skin to the benefits of cool therapy by keeping your skin care products in the fridge.