Banishing Freckles With IPL
Freckles are a funny thing. While other people might look at yours and find them absolutely delightful, it is possible that you loathe them. Whether your freckles are a result of genetics or you’ve experienced sun damage, there is a way to fade them gently away.
Intense Pulsed light (IPL) therapy is one procedure performed on men and women who wish to banish their freckles to memory. IPL is used to create photorejuvenation, a process that uses a light source to lift pigmentation, then prompts the skin to heal itself by creating new cells. This is a method frequently used to treat sun damage and broken capillaries, but because it actually lifts pigment off the skin, it has been found to take surface issues – like freckles – with it. Essentially, those freckles are faded away and new, fresh skin takes their place.
A consultation with P. Alexander Ataii M.D. or his staff will tell you whether you’re a good candidate for IPL. Knowing what to expect during and after the procedure can help you prepare. The important thing to remember is that during IPL photorejuvenation highly focused pulses will be directed at your skin, meaning Dr. Ataii is going to take extra precautions to make sure that you’re safe and comfortable at all times. Here is what you can expect:
- You’ll be given protective eye shields to wear throughout the procedure
- If Dr. Ataii deems it necessary, a topical anesthetic may be applied to your skin
- Dr. Ataii will apply a cooling gel that reduces the sensation of heat from the light source
- A fan may be placed near the treatment area to provide cool air
- The IPL hand piece will be placed directly over the area being treated
- The hand piece will emit precisely calibrated light waves, with each area treated in brief, steady passes
- Within 20 minutes of beginning, your session is complete
- You may experience a touch of redness, but it will generally disappear within an hour
- You will see your freckles disappearing over a series of three to five treatments
There’s no reason in this day and age to hate the skin you’re in. Getting rid of those freckles is as close as calling Laser Clinique in San Diego.